General Business Litigation
Collora LLP has earned a formidable reputation in the practice of business litigation. Our lawyers have successfully represented clients in many different industries as advocates for their business-related complaints and defenders of their business-related interests.
Our goal is to solve problems and to obtain the client’s desired remedy or objective without the necessity of trial. However, if a case must go to trial, our clients can rely upon our tenacity and skillful representation in the courtroom.
We are pleased to share with you the following executive summary showing the kinds of clients we have represented, their industries, the legal issues we have handled for them, the forums in which we have appeared, and some of the representative results that we have produced in general business litigation. (For other information about health care, intellectual property or securities litigation, see links at bottom of this page.)
Collora LLP has represented many clients in general business litigation matters, including but not limited to:
- Corporations, Partnerships and Closely Held Businesses
- Financial Service and Insurance Companies
- Non-profit Organizations
- Professional Corporations and Professional Service Firms
- Foreign Governmental Entities
- Doctors, Lawyers, Brokers, Engineers and Other Professionals
- Chief Executives and C-suite Officers
- Trade Associations
Our lawyers have represented clients in business litigation matters related to many different industries, including but not limited to the following:
- Computers: Hardware and Software
- Employment and Staffing
- Entertainment and Media
- Food and Beverage
- Financial Services and Insurance
- Health Care and Life Sciences
- Hospitality and Travel
- Internet and e-Commerce
- Raw Materials
- Real Estate and Construction
- Transportation and Aviation
- Venture Capital and Private Equity
- Waste and Energy Management
We have successfully dealt with many different issues in our business litigation history, including but not limited to issues pertinent to the following matters:
- Accounting Malpractice and Auditing Malpractice Claims
- Breach of Fiduciary Duty Claims (involving trustees, minority shareholders, etc)
- Civil Anti-Trust and Anti-Competition Claims
- Class Action Defense Issues
- Commercial Contract Disputes
- Consumer Trade and Massachusetts Chapter 93A Issues
- Defective Design, Materials and Construction Claims
- Disputes with Suppliers, Vendors and Distributors
- False Advertising Claims
- First Amendment Claims Involving Broadcasting Rights and Defamation
- Fraud and Misrepresentation Claims
- Governmental Procurement Matters
- Insurance Coverage Disputes
- Lender and Borrower Disputes
- Libel and Defamation Claims
- Non-compete and Non-solicitation Agreements
- Ownership Disputes in Partnerships and Closely Held Businesses
- Software Agreements and Software Failures
- Trade Secret Matters
- Warranty Claims
Our lawyers have appeared in many forums for the adjudication or resolution of business-related disputes, and they have litigated matters in front of both trial court judges and administrative law judges. Thus, they are familiar with the rules and operations of many courts, alternative dispute resolution forums, and administrative agencies, including:
- Massachusetts District and Superior Courts and the Business Litigation Session
- Massachusetts Court of Appeals and the Supreme Judicial Court
- State Courts outside of Massachusetts, such as CT, DE, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, NY and HI)
- U.S. District Courts (MA, CT, FL, NH, NJ, RI)
- U.S. Circuit Courts of Appeal (1st, 2d, 8th, 11th and D.C. Circuits)
- Arbitration and Mediation forums, such as those hosted by the American Arbitration Association, JAMS, and the International Chamber of Commerce
- State Agency forums (including: MA Appellate Tax Board, MA Department of Revenue, the Consumer Protection Bureau of the MA Attorney General, MA Division of Unemployment Assistance)
- Federal Agency forums (including: the Department of Defense, the Federal Trade Commission, the Food and Drug Administration, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and the Department of Health and Human Services)
The following summaries are a representative sampling of results we have produced for our clients in business litigation matters.
- Won $7.2 million judgment for Fortune 100 client that was damaged by representations contained in opinion letter issued in connection with an acquisition.
- Obtained favorable verdict defending multi-million dollar breach of contract claim against a French conglomerate, despite a previous indictment and conviction of client’s manager in connection with alleged contractual wrongdoing. Case involved issues of first impression under the Uniform Procurement Act in Massachusetts.
- Won summary judgment in federal court case of first impression involving liability dispute related to execution of wire transfer. Judgment led to favorable multi-million dollar settlement.
- Brought and successfully settled case on behalf of banking syndicate that suffered $50 million in damages arguably related to frauds of officers and directors and failures of independent auditor to detect and report those frauds.
- Won multi-million dollar award against general contractor in case involving defective materials and workmanship claims.
- Won summary judgment ruling for national media entity, knocking out defamation claims made in connection with national broadcast of a local trial.
- Brought and successfully settled suit for revocation of acceptance of $24 million corporate jet that suffered two engine failures during separate flights.
- Successfully defended a multi-district civil anti-trust action brought against our client, a foreign company and major raw materials producer. After effective pre-trial work, our client agreed to a nominal settlement in a case involving numerous defendants and alleged damages of hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Successfully defended suit for breach of lease agreement and damage to a landlord’s warehouse. Large corporate client transferred case to us just 3 weeks prior to trial, and landlord settled for less than 10 percent of the seven-figure amount it was seeking.
- Successfully sued the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and certain of its divisions engaged in rate setting to obtain higher rates of state reimbursement for ambulance and chair car services. Obtained retroactive rate increases plus attorney’s fees for client.
- Obtained favorable jury verdict in case involving ownership dispute at large telecommunications company, resulting in optimal settlement for shareholder clients thereafter.
- Successfully settled multiple cases involving public works project and allegations of damages from defective design brought against our client, a globally recognized engineering firm.
For additional information about other business litigation experience in specific complex areas, click on any of the pertinent links below.