Boston College Law School, Chestnut Hill, MA, J.D., 1983
Harvard College, Cambridge, MA, A.B.,1977
United States District Court, District of Massachusetts
United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit
Boston Bar Association
Presentations and Awards
New England Super Lawyer, Criminal Defense-White Collar (2010-2011)
Continuing Education and Commitment to Excellence
BBA Steering Committee, Criminal Law Section
Publications and Press
Frequent legal analyst for New England Cable News (Newsnight) and WBZ-TV.
Harvard Cheating Scandal
Pro Bono / Community Service
Boston Police Foundation, Board Member
Literacy Volunteers of Massachusetts, Board Chair
U.S. Fund for UNICEF New England Chapter, Former Chair
Robert L. Peabody
617 371 1361
Clients and Industries
Mr. Peabody’s clients commonly face allegations of securities, health care, and tax fraud, as well as public corruption. Recently, Mr. Peabody represented a senior compliance officer and several sales representatives at two different pharmaceutical companies facing allegations of illegal anti-kickback conduct, corporate officers in an options backdating scandal, an individual at the center of the "Big Dig" ceiling collapse, and a board member of a regional municipal authority under investigation for suspected financial wrongdoing. Mr. Peabody has also headed up two internal investigations for the regional diocese of a local religious organization, represented a sophisticated securities trader in connection with ongoing DOJ and SEC investigations in a mid-Atlantic state, senior management of a local real estate concern at the heart of the U.S. Attorney’s Office investigation of former Speaker Salvatore DiMasi; obtained dismissal of all criminal charges against a prominent Boston University professor suspected methamphetamine manufacturing. He also represented students in the Harvard University cheating scandal resulting in probation only.
Practice Areas and Experience
Mr. Peabody’s practice focuses on representing companies and individuals in “white collar” and other criminal matters before state and federal court, as well as in investigations involving both government agencies and private companies.
During his tenure as an Assistant U.S. Attorney, Mr. Peabody was a senior prosecutor in the Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force (OCDETF) prosecuting cases ranging from high profile racketeering and murder to organized crime/drug conspiracy and money laundering matters. As a member of former Suffolk District Attorney Ralph C. Martin’s Special Prosecution Unit, Mr. Peabody led grand jury investigations and criminal prosecutions of white collar, fraud, embezzlement, and public corruption matters.
As a state and federal prosecutor, Mr. Peabody tried more than 60 jury trials in District Court, Superior Court and U.S. District Court, and argued a number of cases before the First Circuit Court of Appeals. These matters included: the “Code of Silence” racketeering and murder prosecution which led to multiple RICO convictions and life sentences for members of a violent neighborhood organization in Charlestown, Massachusetts; “Operation Vertigo” -- a multi-district prosecution of an international ecstasy and oxycontin trafficking organization operating in Massachusetts, New York, Florida, Germany, and Israel and responsible for the importation of millions of pills and the laundering of tens of millions of dollars in illegally earned assets; and “Token Gate” -- the prosecution and conviction of more than twenty MBTA Inspectors, token takers, and other employees who had conspired to steal millions of dollars in subway tokens.
Professional Experience Outside of Collora LLP
Prior to joining Collora LLP, Bob was of counsel with Nystrom, Beckman & Paris following a distinguished 15 year career as criminal prosecutor in the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Massachusetts from 1997 through 2004 and, before that, with the Middlesex and Suffolk’s District Attorney’s Offices. Prior to moving to Boston in 1988, he was a corporate litigator with the Wall Street law firm of Shearman & Sterling specializing in securities, banking, and complex commercial litigation.
Sample of Results in Practice *
• Obtained jury acquittal for undergraduate at prominent local university in a date rape case.
• Successfully defended securities trader in a securities fraud “pump and dump” scheme resulting in client receiving pre-trial diversion in federal court.
• Successfully represented alleged insider trader investigation before the SEC and U.S. Attorney’s office resulting in neither civil nor criminal charges brought.
• Successfully defended corporate executive suspected of insider trader allegations being investigated by the U.S. Attorney’s office resulting in pre-trial diversion.
• Successfully defended Boston-based Real Estate Development Firm in conjunction with federal grand jury public corruption investigation.
• Successfully represented New England College student in connection with University allegations of sexual harassment.
• Successfully represented suburban medical practice in favorable resolution of E&M and CPT coding complaints brought by regional health insurance company.
• Successful representation of New England Podiatrist in resolving license and insurance coverage dispute with Board of Medicine and regional health insurance company.
• Successfully defended individual charged with embezzlement and theft of prominent Beacon Hill resident and resulting in dismissal of matter.
• Represented individual in million dollar kick-back scheme involving large Massachusetts Corporation resulting in probationary sentence in federal court.
* This sampling of cases represents a selected, small portion of this lawyer’s total experience, and past performance is not intended to be a representation of likely future results, which must be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Bob was First Marshal of his Harvard Cass (1977), a letter winner on the Harvard Football Team his senior year, and a lead in two Hasty Pudding Shows. His wife, Laura Peabody, is also a practicing attorney and they have two adult children with one in college. Bob is an avid fly fisherman, skier, sailor and “amateur” actor. He also enjoys traveling about New England attending his daughter's crew races. In addition, he is an active participant in local and national politic efforts as well as several local non-profits.